Sunday, February 6, 2011

Knitting Fail. Gardening Win

Last weekend I made the decision that if the 'Salad Bowl' of Australia had been all but wiped out due to flooding then in order to avoid getting punched in the wallet by the supposedly rising prices of salad ingredients, I'd better start on the road towards self sufficiency. Buoyed by visions of harvesting baskets full of fresh produce I bounced happily off to the Rocklea markets to purchase a punnet of baby tomato plants (from my favourite seedling man) and a little lettuce plant.

Grow me some tomatoes!


My babies

Lil lettuce

Unfortunately that's where the wins ended. I experienced my first knitting disaster/epic fail a few days earlier. I suppose I can't really expect any less when I make up so many patterns as I go. I had these grand plans for a wrist warmer (no thumb-hole) that had a long ribbed bottom, a knitted portion around the palm and then a different coloured crocheted shell design around the top. Grand plans indeed.

All I can say is fail. Super fail. Too tight, wouldn't have fit a 10 year old's hand. After I had finished off the knitted portion and sewn it up I could see that (a) I'd committed a cardinal knitting sin by casting off on the wrong side and (b) had cast off way too tightly so the finished product was all the wrong shape.

But easy come easy go, it didn't take long and now I've got my eye on a few balls of varigated yarn purchased recently from Spotlight. I'm interested to see how it works up.

No comments:

Post a Comment